This weekend We ran in our 4th Warrior Dash with our group appropriately named “Just A Little Dirty!”
For those of you unfamiliar with Warrior Dash, it is a 5k run (or jog in our case) with obstacles and a lot of mud mixed throughout, especially this year.
This month (June/15) we have had abnormal amounts of rain, rain and more rain. This made the parking areas (a hay field) for the event a muddy mess (to no fault of the promoter or venue). Now it wasn’t that we and other participants weren’t warned of this and told by the promoters to “carpool and drive 4×4 vehicles” there leaving small cars at home, but for some a Prius may be all they have. At any rate, it wasnt a good place for “grocery getters” to be.
As for the race itself, it was a blast and one of the most challenging to date. There were new obstacles, plenty of mud, huge and fast water slides, cargo nets to climb over, walls to climb to test your skills, and plenty of mud to crawl over and swim through. Oh and barbed wire and fire…yes, real barbed wire and fire.
(Play the video to see the water slide part of an obstacle named Goliath.)
While these obstacles may be considered extreme for most, I got to thinking about the barbed wire, getting stuck, the obstacles, the hard work and life skills it takes to complete the race, and of course the mud, and how it relates to the farm. So here are the top 10 ways the Warrior Dash and Farming are Alike!
Top 10 Ways That Warrior Dash and Farming Are Alike:
1. The Early Bird Gets the Worm, usually has a better experience, and doesn’t get stuck in the mud.
2. 4×4’s are a necessity, small cars belong on concrete.
5. Mother Nature can be a cruel cruel creature, learn to adjust to her. She is in charge at all times.
6. Large amounts of rain and repeated rains aren’t your friend.
7. Weather it be a tractor or a car, every vehicle has its limit on how much mud it can handle, and so does its drivers. Mud is real.
10. (last but not least) Help others in need. When your neighbor is stuck, get out and help them. Karma is real.
Big thank yous out to Warrior Dash and all those who made this event possible. It continues to challenge us and bring our group together by creating life long memories!
I’ll leave you with a few more pics and one more way Warrior Dash and Farming are alike.
11. After a hard days work, stop, sit back, enjoy what you have accomplished and have a beverage of choice, you earned it!